Sip Your Way to Better Health with Resveratrol Smoothies
Our focus this week has been on resveratrol, and the clinical trials and studies underway that make this powerful antioxidant such a great investment in your health. Resveratrol is still being studied, but the research and studies seem to suggest that resveratrol may be beneficial for a number of health conditions. With these exciting results, you’re probably wondering how you can incorporate more resveratrol into your diet. Of course, you know that red wine is an excellent source of resveratrol due to the skin of red grapes, but what you may not know is that you can still sip your way to health. Try any one of these supercharged smoothies for a boost of resveratrol and other healthy ingredients.
Peanut Butter Smoothie
Resveratrol is also found in some nuts, including peanuts. If you love peanut butter, grab some and indulge in this smoothie. To avoid using ice, freeze your banana beforehand. When freezing bananas, always remember to remove the peel before your pop it in the freezer.
- 1/2 banana (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute
- 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- If you decide to use frozen bananas rather than ice, use a whole banana.
Dark Chocolate Green Smoothie
If you love all things chocolate, this smoothie is perfect for you.
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- 1 cup frozen berries (blueberries or strawberries are awesome)
- 3 cups baby spinach (or other dark leafy green)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (or cacao nibs)
- 1 mango peeled and cubed
- Add the milk and mango to your blender and blend until smooth. Then add the frozen berries, cacao powder and mango.
- Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add your baby spinach and give it all another good blend.
Mixed Berry Smoothie
Berries such as blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are also sources of resveratrol. You can use one of these types of berries, or a mix of all three, when you make this smoothie.
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup vanilla (or plain) yogurt
If you plan to use fresh berries rather than frozen, add ½ cup of ice to your ingredient list
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Smoothies are an excellent way to receive not only the benefits of resveratrol, but also other essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients that your body requires. They are also a great way to start your morning or energize your afternoon. Perhaps the best part of smoothies is how customizable they are; you can tweak these smoothie recipes to your tastes. Add cacao powder to your peanut butter smoothie or substitute a peach in place of banana in your berry smoothie. Enjoy experimenting with different fruit and flavor combinations while also receiving the vitamins and minerals, and resveratrol, that smoothies provide.